Town Councillors

Volunteer Local Councillors are elected by the community to decide how the council should carry out its various activities. They represent public interest as well as individuals living within the ward in which they have been elected to serve a term of office.

They have regular contact with the general public through council meetings, telephone calls or surgeries. Surgeries provide an opportunity for any ward resident to go and talk their councillor face to face and these take place on a regular basis.

Find out more about your Councillors, which committees they are on and their contact details.

The latest register of interests can be found on the Central Bedfordshire Council website.

Not sure which ward you live in?

Click to view an alphabetical list of streets within the parish of Leighton-Linslade, showing which parish ward each street is in.  The list reflects changes to the current warding which will take effect from the parish elections in May 2023.

If you cannot find your street on the list, this may be because it is a newly developed road or it may be because your street falls outside the parish boundary for Leighton-Linslade.  You may wish to contact Central Bedfordshire Council as the electoral authority to check whether your street is in the parish of Leighton-Linslade or one of the surrounding villages such as Heath and Reach or Eggington.

Find out more:

Parish councillors are volunteers and are not paid a salary for their work. Some parish councils pay an allowance, but Leighton-Linslade Town Councillors do not receive any allowance other than the very occasional reimbursement of expenses such as mileage. By law, all members of the Council are required to complete a declaration of interest form, the details of which are published annually.

Support and Training
Town Councillors are offered support and training throughout their term of office, both from Town Council officers and from sector bodies such as the National Association of Local Councils and the Local Government Association.

Code of Conduct
All Town Councillors must agree to abide by the Town Council’s Code of Conduct, which focusses on the Nolan Principles for public life.

If you need to make a complaint about a Town Councillor, please write to:

Monitoring Officer – Central Bedfordshire Council

Town Councillors are elected every four years. The most recent parish council elections took place on 4 May 2023. View the results of the last elections.

The parish of Leighton-Linslade is currently made up of 8 separate ward areas. This will be updated to 9 wards from May 2023. Find out which ward your street is in.

Can anyone stand for election as a Town Councillor?

Yes, if you are a British, Commonwealth or European citizen aged 18 or over and meet any one of the following criteria:

  • you are on the electoral roll for the parish
  • you have lived in the parish, or within 3 miles of it, for the previous 12 months
  • you have occupied any land or premises in the parish for the previous 12 months
  • your main place of work is within the parish

You can find out more by visiting the Electoral Commission website.