Climate Emergency Declaration
At the full Council meeting on Monday 27th September 2021, the following resolution was passed:
“This Council declares a Climate Emergency and commits to the activities of This Council being carbon neutral by 2030. This Council also commits to working with Central Bedfordshire Council in influencing and supporting the wider community of Leighton-Linslade to achieve the government’s targets of net zero emissions by 2050”.
At its meeting on Monday 6th December 2021, the Grounds & Environmental Committee agreed some first steps towards this goal:
- to seek quotations for a carbon assessment of Town Council operations, to provide baseline evidence
- to undertake an i-Tree ECO assessment as part of its next tree condition survey
- to undertake carbon literacy training for employees and councillors
The Council is keen to encourage the local community to play its part in making a difference. For ideas on how you can change just one thing in your daily life, see below and follow us on social media.
This web page will be under constant development as the Council progresses towards its goal for 2030.
Prior to the recent declaration, the Council adopted its environmental ambitions on 24 June 2019, which are as follows. To find out more about what actions we have already taken, view this recent report to Council: Environmental Ambitions actions March 2021
- To reduce single use plastics
- To use local suppliers wherever possible
- To minimise waste and increase recycling
- To encourage social and environmental responsibility
- When technology is available, to carefully consider the appropriateness or otherwise of investing in new equipment that will make viable positive differences to the way the Town Council operates
- To include an increased weighting on greening issues when inviting companies to tender for Town Council work.
- To encourage the parish to shop local, in the common interests of the vitality of the High Street and the local economy beyond
- To encourage the parish to drink more water
- To continue to use appropriate materials as part of an ongoing maintenance schedule
These files may not be suitable for users of assistive technology and are in the following formats: .pdf. Request an accessible format.