Apart from several interesting and unique attractions within the town itself, Leighton-Linslade is a great base from which to explore the surrounding area.
A great place to visit
All Saints Church There has been a church on this site since the Saxon times before the Norman Conquest. The present building dates from 1277 and is an outstanding example of early English architecture. The 190 foot broach spire dominates the skyline from all approaches to the town.
Town Hall is located in a prominent position at the top end of the town, the building was built in 1851 and overlooks the full length of the High Street. The Lord of the Manor at the time paid £1,182 to replace an existing Moot Hall on the site with a new, all brick building. The upper storey was then used as the Town Hall and County Court and the open ground floor was used by the market traders. Locals now know it as the ‘Old Fire Station’; today it is a restaurant.
The White House was originally a private house, it was built in the middle of the nineteenth century .The estate was the family home of George Garside, the owner of one of the two main sand companies in the town. The building is currently occupied by Leighton-Linslade Town Council and several small businesses.
Post Office Built in 1790, it was Leighton Buzzard’s first purpose built school, and was a gift from the Lords of the Manor.
Restaurants, Cafes and Public Houses Leighton Buzzard town centre has many lovely restaurants and cafes as well as a selection of public houses. You will find a full list in the shopping and services directory – to download your copy please click here
Leighton Buzzard Narrow Gauge Railway All towns have something original to show their visitors, but few in England can claim a narrow-gauge railway with an unbroken history going back almost a century. ‘Narrow gauge’ is not the same thing as ‘toy’, though. The Leighton Buzzard Railway – with rails 2ft/60cm apart – was built at the end of the First World War, from materials and equipment surplus from the battlefield supply lines. Its job was to carry sand from the quarries north of the town, to main-line sidings from which it was transported all over the country. (High-quality sand is still produced locally, but is carried by road). With traffic dwindling in the 1960s, the line’s owners agreed to let a group of volunteers run passenger trains on Sundays, and in the next few years they took over almost the entire line. Still a charity operated and managed by unpaid volunteers, the line has brought worldwide fame to Leighton Buzzard, with international visitors as diverse as the Indian Minister of Transport, and John Travolta. The railway has also featured regularly on TV and radio, in programmes such as ‘Bang Goes The Theory’, ‘John Sergeant’s Tourist Trail’, ‘Saturday Live’ and ‘Escape To The Country’. Over the years, the railway has built up an impressive collection of narrow-gauge locomotives, rolling stock and equipment relating to sand quarrying and other industries, and to military applications. Check with our website for details (www.buzzrail.co.uk), but most passenger trains are hauled by one of our fleet of historical steam locomotives, the oldest of which goes back to 1877. With its relaxed pace, sharp corners, steep gradients, frequent level crossings and roadside running, Leighton Buzzard’s narrow-gauge railway takes you back to the light railways of a bygone era. Not many towns can offer that!
The Children’s Trail The Leighton-Linslade Children’s trail is a free public trail of 22 artworks celebrating storytelling for little people with big imaginations. The Children’s Trail starts at the Library and weaves through the town centre. It is completely free and can be completed in about an hour. A map and booklet is available from the white house or library. Try the trail as family and friends and take inspiration from our frogs, fairies, magic doors and all their other imagination inspiring friends.
Parson’s Close Recreation Ground is at the heart of Leighton-Buzzard and is easily accessible from the Town Centre, it is home to the Towns bandstand where regular band concerts are held. It also has a children’s play area, skate park and splash and play (outdoor water feature).
Grand Union Canal running between Birmingham and London and passing through Linslade was opened in 1800 for the transport of trade. The canal was heavily utilised by the local sand quarries which were connected by the narrow gauge railway. If you are walking or mooring your narrow boat along the canal, the High Street is only a few minute’s walk from the tow path which also connects to some of the larger green open spaces in and around the town.
Leighton Buzzard Library Leighton Buzzard Library service is managed by Central Bedfordshire Council. The library is located in the same building as the theatre and has lending facilities for books and music tapes; a reference section; microfiche readers and computers. It has a list of local clubs and societies and displays posters and leaflets giving information on activities in the area. It also has a small exhibition area.
Leighton Buzzard Library Theatre Leighton Buzzard Library Theatre is situated in Lake Street within the main Library building and has a 170 seat theatre with cinema screen. The theatre provides a full programme of films, music, drama and operatic productions. The town has a thriving community of amateur groups which perform on a regular basis at the theatre and at other venues in the town.