The Town Mayor is Councillor Syed Rahman.
The Mayor is elected to the post each May at the Annual Council Meeting. He or she normally serves for a one-year term.
Meet the Town Mayor
The Mayor attends a wide spectrum of events organised by local organisations and represents the town of Leighton-Linslade at functions outside of the town. Through the Town Mayor’s office, he or she organises various fundraising events each year.
- Afternoon Tea (26 August) 15:00 – 17:00 at Astral Park
- Charity Ball (14th October) 19:00 – 00:00 at Leighton Buzzard Golf Club.
- Rock of Ages Concert (10 November)
- Christmas Carol Concert (9th December) 19:30 at All Saints Parish Church
- Valentines Dinner and Dance (17th February) 19:00 – 23:00 at Astral Park
- James Geoff Band Concert (11th April) 18:00 – 22:00 at Vandyke Upper School
Town Mayor’s Charities
Councillor Rahman will be supporting Homeless Service Leighton-Linslade, Keech Hospice, Aquarius, Autism Bedfordshire and St Johns Hospice during his Mayoral year.
All funds raised through out his mayoral year will be divided between the charities above.
Addressing the Mayor
It is normal practice, when introducing the Mayor at a function to refer to him as either “Mr Mayor”, “Town Mayor of Leighton-Linslade” or “Councillor Rahman”.
The Mayor welcomes invitations from local organisations to attend functions and fund raising events. He is often asked to make a speech or to perform duties as varied as presenting certificates for a sports club or digging the first sod for a tree planting ceremony.
The Mayor also represents the town of Leighton-Linslade in the wider area and receives invitations from Mayors and Chairmen within Bedfordshire and the surrounding counties as well as our twin towns in France and Germany.
The Deputy Mayor
Cllr Clive Palmer, of Southcott Ward, deputises whenever the Town Mayor is unavailable.